Friday, May 9, 2008

Texas Grill

We're getting close.

I've always thought a chimichanga and Chicken Fried Steak should join forces to create a queso powered CFS. However, without a restaurant or influence, my dreams get nowhere. But Texas Grill is on the right path.

Texas Grill is a fried food restaurant that specializes in awesome. Its just a little place in a strip center next to Taco Cabana, but its like that saying about books and judging them by their cover - if the book is covered in fried crust and queso, you're going to enjoy it. In true Texas fashion, everything is either grilled or fried. If its not, they call it a healthy side.

When you pull into the parking lot at Texas Grill you'll think, this FortWorthHoleInTheWall guy is an idiot. Whats so amazing about this place. Well thats what you'd say if you stopped reading now.

But since you're still reading, let me tell you - Chicken Fried Chicken...wait for it...covered in queso. I'm licking my monitor right now. Literally. Just the words make me hungry. Lets all say it again. Chicken fried chicken covered in queso. Crispy, creamy and alliterative. Everything you need for a good meal.

They have other options that are reportedly delicious. The Catfish and burgers have received high marks from other eaters there. I did my usual ONG stare and checked out the other tables. The boring chicken breast (grilled chicken breast) did not seem to excite the guy nearest to me, but his wife probably made him order that.

The Texas Grill also provides a list of healthy sides. I for one was feeling health conscious and ordered the broccoli salad. Two mistakes in one. Ordering broccoli and ordering salad. Two wrongs make a right, so this should have been good. Turns out, I like broccoli less than I thought. This is a cole slaw with the cabbage replaced with broccoli. And some creepy, slimy stuff in it. I'm not sure what it was, but it gave me a good reason to finish my mashed potatoes, which were delicious.

So here's my dilemma. Remember back in middle school or high school (or college) when you really liked a girl/guy and you built her/him up in your mind and you got too scared to ask her/him out? I'm afraid. I'm so excited about the prospect of a queso covered chicken fried steak, that I'm afraid to ask Texas Grill if they'll make me one. They have all the ingredients. They even have the general recipe (pour queso on meat). But do they have the fried fortitude? I believe they do.

But then, what if its not everything I hoped for? Will I always have this pit of despair in my belly knowing that I mixed two dream foods only to create something equivalent to peanut butter covered tomatoes? If I don't try it, wont I always wonder? Wont I always long for the dish that got away? I'll see it with somebody else and hate that person for ever. My mission will be to watch that person fail in life so the queso covered chicken fried steak will perhaps approach me. But I know I'll never want it after that other guy had his chance at it.

The answer to all this will have to wait until my next trip. If I take some wingmen for support and get a couple rounds in me, I may build up the courage to do this.

If you're feeling daring one day and head to Texas Grill and request that they replace your queso chicken with queso steak, please let me know how it is. Wait. No. Don't. I want to experience it on my own.

They have a website, so now you have access to it. Give them a try and let me know what you think. Texas Grill is on Camp Bowie, past almost everything except the Taco C.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds tastey... might have to give it a try... and btw, visited Wilson's ... super tastey! Could barely breath but the sweet potato pie was EXACTLY how I like it... plain and simple!

FortWorthHoleInTheWall said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the place. Did you smell like BBBBQ for the rest of the day?

I may not have mentioned this, but the questo chicken is good in its own right in case the restaurant wont give you a queso covered chicken fried steak

The Whited Sepulchre said...

I'm in the Texas Grill once a week.
This week, it'll be Chicken Fried w' queso. Will report back.

Oh, and Texas Grill isn't past everything. Go a little further, just past Illusions Nightclub, and you'll get to Cancun Mexico. Dollar for dollar, the best Mexican restaurant in Fort Worth. (I sometimes work across the street.)

bourgon said...

ROFL. Texas Grill is cool. I tried to go to Wilson's on Sunday night - but they were closed. Tried to stop at a few other places - Sonny's, Taste of Saigon, Deer Creek BBQ.... all closed on Sunday nights. Should've stopped at Cancun.

FortWorthHoleInTheWall said...

Michael, thats the frustrating thing about the greatest hole in the walls. ..they're closed on sundays. El Asadero, however, is always open. The more you know....

The Whited Sepulchre...let me know how it goes. I'll be making a trip either this week or next.

bourgon said...

I have a new place for you to try.
BBQ, West Fort Worth. It's basically at Camp Bowie & 820, in the Kroger shopping center.

It's Deer Creek BBQ, and the pitmaster (owner?) is Rodney Lambert. I got half a pound of ribs last night - baby back, and while not exceedingly moist, the flavor was good, it went really well with the sauce, and it had the perfect "fall off the bone" tenderness.

Given that we've had issues at Mom's, getting the "all-fat" ribs, our lunch group is going there Friday. Yummmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Deer Creek BBQ-Went there yesterday...I ordered a sliced sandwich w/ fries and a drink...It was $10.50

Way overpriced and not that great!!

Unknown said...

Just got back from a long weekend in Hill Country and I think this area is the land of queso. Chicken Fried steak with queso and green chilis - check, hamburgers with queso and melted cheese - check, tortilla fried queso catfish - check. I am not talking about velveeta or crap queso, but the real creamy delicious queso flecked with bits of stuff that make queso great. Just damn good queso. They also seem to have a thing for avocados and green chilis, with a number of places featuring Hatch green chilis which are the nectar of the chili gods. Austin is not only the Capitol of the state of Texas, but the Captiol of Queso. I know this is not Fort Worth-centirc, but the Fort could learn a few queso things from our State Capitol. Check it out!

Lindsey said...

Gosh I love this blog. I just read this post out loud to my friends. A little tear just came out of my eye, I was laughing so hard.

I'm a huge fan of Texas Grill. I love the lame grilled chicken and their fried zucchini. It's pretty delicious.